Larry Walraven is a founding partner of our firm. He has represented and advised businesses, educational institutions, and non-profits for over 25 years.
Larry represents and advises clients in the areas of employment litigation, state and federal regulatory compliance, internal investigations, crisis management, executive agreements, and ERISA litigation. Larry focuses his regulatory compliance practice for employers in the areas of anti-discrimination, disability leave and accommodation, wage & hour, and WARN Act compliance. Larry’s higher education practice focuses on compliance with ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Title IX, the Clery Act, FERPA, and the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act. Larry frequently serves as an adjudicator and as an investigator in campus sexual assault cases.
Larry also lectures extensively and provides training on the topics of disability accommodation and accessibility, Title IX policy design, investigation of campus sexual assault cases, campus safety and Clery Act compliance, campus and workplace privacy issues, management best practices and team building, and sexual harassment prevention and investigation. He has been invited to speak by and presented programs for the Orange County Bar Association Corporate Counsel Section, the Institute for Applied Management and Law, the Claremont Colleges Human Resources Council, the Claremont Colleges Title IX Working Group, the Employer’s Group, and the Aliso Viejo Chamber of Commerce.
Before founding Walraven & Westerfeld LLP, Larry was a partner with O’Melveny & Myers LLP, where he served as chair of the Orange County Labor Department.
J.D., University of Texas (1989)
- With high honors
- Order of the Coif
- Associate Editor, Texas Law Review
B.A., Texas Tech University (1986)
Magna cum laude
Admitted to the bar in California and Texas
Memberships and Community Activities
National Association of College and University Attorneys
Orange County Bar Association
Editor-in-chief, ABA Litigation Section- Employment and Labor Relations Labor Law Quarterly (2001-2004)
Chapter Author, California Employment Litigation Practice Guide (The Rutter Group)
Chapter Author, Sexual Harassment in Employment Law, Lindeman and Kadue (BNA)
Chapter Author, Just Cause (BNA)
“Top Attorneys in Orange County”, Orange Coast Magazine
“Super Lawyers of Southern California”
Corporate Counsel “Go-To Firms”
Telephone: (949) 215-1991
Illustrative Professional Experience
- Designing and implementing a Title IX and Clery Act compliance program for a nationally ranked liberal arts college.
- Serving as a neutral adjudicator in campus sexual assault cases for southern California colleges and universities.
- Conducting internal investigations for businesses and institutions of higher education in the areas of sexual assault and harassment, discrimination and retaliation, FERPA violations, financial aid reporting, insider trading, procurement fraud, embezzlement, and financial statement misrepresentation.
- Defending a university in an ERISA breach of fiduciary duty representative action challenging retirement plan investments on behalf of over 1,200 participants.
- Recovering over $2,000,000 in judgments and settlements for withdrawal liability for a multiple-employer pension plan in the agriculture industry.
- Defending a national retailer in two class actions seeking overtime compensation for managers and assistant managers.
- Defending a multi-employer pension plan in an action challenging the plan’s allocation of movie and television residuals among plan participants.
- Defending a major aerospace defense contractor in a toxic tort class action claiming injuries to employees from chemicals used in the manufacturing process.
- Collectively bargaining a comprehensive collective bargaining agreement covering three states and twenty union locals for a national route sales distributor.